Translate

Monday, July 7, 2014

Why aren't mental illnesses considered endocrine disorders?

I was sitting in bed just wondering, what exactly is endocrinology? I mean, I know what my endo does for me and what he does for my mom. It's the doctor who monitors diabetes and thyroid disorders. But what is endocrinology? So I looked it up and learned that it is basically the study of hormones and their effects on the body. Then I wondered, if this is so, why are people with mental illness being treated by psychiatrists? Why aren't they being treated by endocrinologists? Mental illnesses are usually caused by hormone imbalances. Hormone imbalances are caused by dysregulation of the endocrine system. Therefore, mental illness should be treated by endocrinologists. Right? I think that DBT and CBT and all those other behavioral therapies are important in helping people realize that thought distortions are a function of maladaptive coping strategies. But the underlying cause is a hormonal imbalance in the brain. So why are psychiatrists even in the picture? Why don't we spend more energy on finding the physiological basis for mental illness? Why don't we already have a cure? I am starting to see that all of the information we need to heal mental illness has already been found, the data just isn't being interpreted effectively or maybe just not trickling down into the mainstream fast enough. What exactly are they teaching in medical school anyway? #mentalillness, #thyroid, #endocrinology, #hormoneimbalance

No comments:

Post a Comment